Thursday, December 6, 2012

Don't sneeze

On top of spaghetti
all covered with cheese
I lost my poor meatball
when somebody sneezed

It rolled off the table
and onto the floor
and then my poor meatball
rolled out of the door

This is the meatball song. When we were little, it was a funny song that my sister and I loved to sing -- especially at the dinner table whenever my mom made meatballs and rice.

My mom's meatballs and rice is my favorite dinner of all time. I could eat it all day and everyday, for forever and ever. It's just that good. 

I never have been able to replicate the recipe to make it taste just like the way mom makes it. I once tried to make it, and put in too much lemon juice and it became a sour and gross mess. The second time I tried to tackle the recipe I got all the ingredients right, but somehow the sauce came out really runny and it wasn't the same consistency as it is when my mom cooks it. So for this blog post I called upon the help of my mother, since every time I try this recipe it flops, and together we made a successful batch of meatballs and rice.

This is really the most delicious thing ever. It's meatballs covered in a sweet and slightly sour sauce over rice, and the sauce tastes great on the rice too. Knowing that it's my favorite food, my mother makes this recipe every year for my birthday and each time I eat it I remember past birthdays and the fun times we had. I also remember singing the spaghetti song when I was little. My sister and I would burst out laughing because we thought it was hilarious that someone could sneeze a meatball out the door. I'll also remember cooking with my mother, and maybe someday I will finally be able to cook like my mother.

Mom's Meatballs and Rice

Ingredients:


The Meatballs:                                                                            The Sauce:
  • 1 egg                                                                        2 cans condensed tomato soup
  • 1 cup uncooked quick oats                                       1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 lb ground beef                                                       6 tablespoons lemon juice
  • salt and pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, combine ingredients for the meatballs, and mix it all together with your hands. Don't be afraid of raw meat. As long as you wash your hands after touching the meatballs everything will be fine.





2. When the ingredients for the meatballs are all mixed together, roll out one inch meatballs and place them in the baking dish. Roll the meatballs in your hands so that they make little meat balls. It's just like when you used to roll out playdoh into balls when you were little, except this time you're rolling meat into little balls. Wash your hands after this step.




3. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl. 
4. When the sauce is completely mixed, pour it over the meatballs
 until all the meatballs are completely covered. You want the meatballs to be completely covered so that they don't dry out while cooking. When the sauce is over all the meatballs, cook them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour. Serve warm over rice. 






7 comments:

  1. Yay! It's your famous birthday dinner you've been talking about!

    This post made me really miss meatballs, one of the many joys I have forsaken since becoming a vegetarian. I think it's interesting that your mom's recipe uses oats rather than bread crumbs, which is what my mom usual uses. That sounds tasty.

    Also, love the presentation at the end -- it's quite a masterpiece you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn that song is adorable. We play it in orchestra a little bit and now I'm probably going to crack a reed because I'm remembering this post. So thanks for that :3

    Originally when you told me about your blog idea I wasn't sure because it's your stories and people might not care. Boy oh boy was I wrong. Your blog wouldn't be the same without your little stories. I love how you work them in. Hopefully you can keep this blog going after the semester ends... I know I'd read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHH this looks so good. Despite the fact that I am eating lunch right now, I still really, really want this. I haven't had meatballs in forever, but one of my favorite things to get at buffets is gravy over rice, and this looks even better. LOL at Brigitte "it's your stories and people might not care," but I totally agree that your blog has brought me much joy and stomach longings this semester, and I hope you continue it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wish that my family ate meatballs, but for some reason, my parents have never gotten around to making any. The times I've had your mom's, they've been delicious. Maybe when I have some free time I'll have to try making some myself! xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so cute the way you began your post with a song full of memories! The second I started reading it I had to add the tune with it! Now that I realized it, I haven't had meatballs in a really long time. Can't wait to try it during winter break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Brigitte.
    The stories define this blog much more than the food (although the food is a nice addition). Through reading your blog, I've learned a lot of things about you!

    Great posts!

    ReplyDelete