Monday, September 17, 2012

Remembering her in a pie

My grandmother's recipe for Japanese pie, written in her handwriting.
(All photos by Kathryn Powell)
One of my favorite things in the world is getting to cook with my grandfather. We cook all kinds of things, and every dish carries memories with it that have come from years of visits to his house for holidays. One of my first and fondest memories made in my grandfather's kitchen is one of learning how to make my grandmother's Japanese pie. The recipe itself is quite simple, but the taste is rich and very memorable.

The odd name of 'Japanese pie' actually has nothing to with Japan or Japanese culture, it is just what my grandmother named the pie and the name stuck so that is what we call it today. 

This pie is my grandmother's pie. It is her recipe, and every time I bake it I think of the grandmother I never met, the one who died before I was born. I wonder what she was like, and if I am similar to her in anyway.

When I make this pie I feel as if I am carrying on some tradition that was never officially begun, I feel as if I am remembering a grandmother I never knew. I feel happy inside whenever I am able to make this pie for my family, and when they say "It tastes just like mom used to make it!" It makes me happy to help bring back those good memories through this pie. I hope to create new memories for others with this pie. I want this to become my pie, and I want people to remember me for this pie just as they remembered my grandmother.

So I guess, in reality, this pie doesn't carry my memories of my grandmother, but others' memories of her. What I remember every time I eat this pie are the times in the kitchen with my grandfather, the times with family dinners with all of us together at the table in my grandfather's house, and the memories of my grandmother that have been shared with me over a spoonful of Japanese pie.


Grandma Powell's Japanese Pie

Ingredients:
  • 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup coconut
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon vinegar 




1.  Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt the butter in the microwave, then let the melted butter cool. This step sounds kind of weird, why would you heat the butter only to cool it down? It's so that the hot butter doesn't cook the eggs when you mix them together. This is not a scrambled egg pie, so trust me, cool the butter.




2. Mix the butter together with all the other ingredients in a mixing bowl.







 
3. Place an unbaked pie crust in a pie pan, and crimp the edges if you wish. I used a pre-made pie crust, but if you would like you can make your own crust and it will work just fine. Here is one way to crimp the edges of the crust, place your thumb on the edge and then take two fingers and press the dough lightly around the thumb. Don't press too hard or the crust will get too thin and won't hold the shape of the crimp. If at first you don't succeed, flatten it out and try, try again.

4. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie crust. Bake for 40 minutes. The pie should look golden on the top, and the crust should be golden on the edges. The pie is best served warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.

One thing I like about this pie is that it is very rich, and is full of different flavors and textures. The coconut and the pecan add some crunch to it, and the raisins and sugar make the pie very sweet.








8 comments:

  1. Hi Kathryn, we've never met but I did know your grandmother. She was kind and hospitable, a real pleasure to know. She did tell me off for her chasing her guinea hens, though! Before she married your grandfather she actually stayed at my grandparents' apartment (my grandfather was your great-grandfather's first cousin) while doing agricultural extension work and they always spoke so highly of her.

    And I remembered when she died, too and going to the funeral home for visitation. Your uncle is a little closer to my age, so I think I mostly talked with him. I remember how sad your dad was - they were far too young to be losing their mother.

    I really enjoyed this post. It's beautifully put together and very touching. I wish I could try making this pie, but I'm not crazy about raisins or coconut. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beautiful. I have a thing for crimped pie crusts. They are just so wonderful. I've only made a pie on my own once, and I had...difficulties...so I envy your wonderfully curved edges. I love the variety of pictures! The lighting on the ones taken outdoors is really nice, and add a nice picnic setting to your story.

    Pie vanity aside, your personal connection was great. I promise I will remember this pie in your name if you bring it to school someday! I can just taste it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn this is so sweet. I have the same connection to my grandmother when I make recipes that are hers. Being able to connect to your past with recipes is awesome and I wish I could do that.

    I thought it was really different that the pie had vinegar in it though. Vinegar is not really an ingredient I consider for most pastries. Besides that, this seems really straightforward to make, and the pictures are really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn this is such a beautiful post! I love how you told us about your personal connection with the pie and what it means to you. I thought that putting a picture of the recipe written in your grandmother's own handwriting was also a very nice touch.

    On another note, this looks like a great pie to make! I am in looooove with coconut and nuts, though I think that if I wanted to bake it, I would substitue chocolate chips for raisins :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you connect all these things about food to your personal life. Really, when you think about it, food is such a big part of our lives that it makes sense that we would have all of these memories attached to it. For me, apple pie always makes me think of my friend Sarah, who made a pie in 1st grade without a recipe. It was the best pie I have ever tasted, and to this day I still have no idea how the 6 year old Sarah who still had trouble opening doors was able to bake a perfect pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so amazing that you're able to bring back all these memories people have of your grandmother by making her pie! I believe in the power of baking, and that it can really shape your identity. I'm sure you'll make many beautiful memories with Japanese pie. It looks delicious by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried baking back in middle school. My cookies made cow pies look appetizing. Enjoy your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! This seems like a cool variation on one of my favorite pies, pecan pie.

    This is such a nice story, Kathryn. I love that you included your grandmother's handwritten recipe. What a precious memento.

    ReplyDelete