Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Proud daughter of a meat scientist

My dad and I with the first plate of ribs that he and I made this summer.
Being a meat scientist's daughter has its perks.

It means that I will never have to eat any meat that is less than satisfactory. My dad is a master at grilling steaks. My dad enjoys grilling and working with meat. He volunteers to do much of the cooking related to meat, and he never uses the same recipe twice, but all of it still tastes amazing. When we don't have an ingredient in the house, he'll substitute another one in, or he'll just experiment around until he thinks it will taste good. Savor each dish that my dad cooks, because it will only taste that way once.

My mother has told me that for 23 years, whenever people have come for dinner, the one thing that everyone remembers most is my dad's cooking.

I could never be a vegetarian. Not in this house anyway. I would be forever judged by my dad's meat scientist colleges, and I don't think I could live a week without meat -- especially if my dad is cooking.

Being a meat scientist's daughter also means that you have heard all of the arguments about pink slime, organic food, or any other controversies that pop up in the agriculture industry.

This usually leaves me stuck in the middle of two conflicting arguments. At Uni, many people think that organic food is the best and that our food system is horrible. My dad comes from the other side of the perspective, and he knows all the arguments that are against completely organic food, and also argues that pink slime and other controversies are not as scary as what the media makes them out to be. Even though I've sat through many annoying rants about the agriculture industry, I am glad that my dad is a meat scientist. I get to eat some delicious barbecue, and sometimes my dad will teach me the best ways to grill meat.

This summer my dad taught me how to make ribs. His ribs are one of my favorite meat dishes, and so I was excited to learn how to make amazing ribs just like dad. Now, whenever I eat these ribs I will think back on that summer day when he taught me the best ways to cut the meat, prepare the rub, and grill the ribs. Maybe one day my ribs will be as good as dad's.

Barbecue Ribs
(adapted from "Barbecued Ribs" in The Best Recipe by Cooks Illustrated)


Ingredients for the dry rub:
  • 2 tablespoons sweet paprika 
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ground black paper
Ingredients for ribs:
  • 6 pounds of country style ribs
  • 3/4 cup of the dry rub for barbecue
  • 2 cups of hickory wood chips
  • Aluminum foil
  • Brown paper grocery bag
Notes
  • When cooking and handling meat, always wash your hands after touching raw meat and thoroughly clean all the surfaces that have come in contact with the raw meat.
  • For this recipe I am using a gas grill. If you want to find the instructions for using a charcoal grill you can find them in "The Best Recipe" cookbook by Cook's Illustrated.

1. Make the dry rub by mixing all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.







2. Take the meat, and put it on a cutting board. Butterfly cut the meat. This means cut the meat down the middle, but not completely through, then fold the sides out so that it looks almost like a butterfly (it doesn't look just like a butterfly, but enough so that they call it butterfly cutting.). 
Cutting the meat like this will allow more spices to cover the meat, and it will be more flavorful in the end.


3. Rub the spices into the meat. Cover the meat with these spices and rub them in enough so that they won't fall off the meat if you pick it up, but don't add too much rub or the rib will taste grainy and the texture will be weird. 

4. Cover the ribs with plastic wrap and let them sit for one hour.

5. While the ribs are sitting, soak the wood chips in a bowl of water for an hour.






6. After an hour, preheat the grill by turning all the burners on high. Put the wood chips in a special box for wood chips, and place the chips in a corner of the grill. Preheat the grill until the wood chips are smoking heavily Don't be scared. They aren't on fire -- they were soaked in water, remember? If you follow the instructions you should not suffer any fire bombs or explosions (unless something is seriously wrong with the grill itself, in which case I would advise you NOT to grill ribs or anything else.).

7.  Turn off the back burners and leave the front burners on medium heat so that the grill is between 275 and 300 degrees Fahrenheit while cooking. Place the meat as far away from the flames as possible, towards the back of the grill. Cook the meat for about 2 hours, turning the ribs once every 30 minutes. 



8. Take the ribs off the grill and wrap in aluminum foil. Put the wrapped ribs in a brown grocery bag and allow it to sit at room temperature for one hour. Wrapping the ribs in foil and then putting them in a grocery bag make ribs more tender and juicy since the moisture from the ribs is kept contained by the aluminum foil.





9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! As a recently un-pescetarianized person, I can say that those ribs look delicious (which is probably really horrible to say in front of my once pescetarian self). Yum. Even your ingredients for the dry rub make my stomach grumble. We usually use the store-bought containers of lemon garlic steak powder or whatnot, but this really seems like the real thing, and makes me really jealous. Your pictures are superb as always, and the process with the woodchips and paper bag was really interesting to read about! Now bring me some...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoah, Gloria is no longer a pescatarian? Now you can eat everything from the Cracked food truck! And bacon, don't forget the marvelous beauty of bacon.

      Delete
  2. Whoh! Even from a person that doesn't particularly love meat, those look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ribs you made were every bit as good as the best ones I have done (and a whole lot better than my many disasters).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Kathryn Powell those look sensational. Also, thanks to this blog post I think I've finally figured out what a butterfly cut is. Since your dad changes his recipe every time, are you going to modify the recipe every time too, or follow this recipe strictly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO HONGREE!!!
    I'm personally not much of a grilling person (I'm scared of grills, especially charcoal) but these look great! (and based on the ingredients list, I figure they ought to taste good, too).
    I think it's good how you are exposed to both sides of the controversy over the United States' food system--it's always better to know both sides of an issue than just one.
    Also, your adaptation of the instructions is great. Especially the part regarding explosions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Usually when my family cooks meat, it boils down to a two-step process:
    1. Gather meat.
    2. Apply heat.
    Fortunately, there is usually some seasoning. I'm lucky if they marinade it. I will definitely have to try this process out at some point.

    The organic food movement has always felt self-conflicting to me. By definition, mass-producing organic food strips it down to nothing more than buzzwords. Our food system is definitely not horrible, as evidenced by increasing human life spans and population sizes. From what I have read, the food system only exists because it favors consistency, reliability, and cost effectiveness over "better". Organic food offers improvements in taste and health but fails to look at the big picture, including the much greater improvements that have happened over many years. As this post shows, what we have now works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I'm not the daughter of a meat scientist, I still couldn't imagine being without meat. I would definitely be judged by my family and my stomach, and I love meat so much that there isn't a chance I would abandon it. Whenever I'm at potlucks or there's free food to be had, I always go for the meat. So I agree with you about the necessity of meat.

    These ribs look delicious! I enjoyed every bite of the sample you gave me :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth waters just looking at those ribs! My father is a vegetarian so my mom doesn't make meat very often. I liked the comparison between Uni students' and your father's view on organic foods. There are more vegetarians at Uni than I realized. Also, I have never grilled before, and I don't know what grilling really is, so this post was really illuminating. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete