Monday, October 15, 2012

Two idiots and a kitchen


Allie and I, in our sixth grade selves, with one of our first kitchen accomplishments -- buttermilk pancakes made from scratch. I only wish the picture wasn't so blurry.
My best friend Allie and I love to cook together. Over the years, we've baked all kinds of pastries and decorated thousands of cupcakes while enjoying each other's company. Whenever we are bored, we pull out a cookbook and find a recipe that combines the mismatch of ingredients from both our kitchens. Usually, the result is an hour well spent together and a tasty snack to munch on.

This has not always been the case. 

On a past winter day, we decided to create a chocolate cake. It was supposedly delicious and simple, so why not? We got out all the ingredients, and dove into the process. Maybe we were a bit too hasty, but whatever the case, we didn't read the instructions completely -- or in order. The result was a cake that was horrible. Inside it were little unmixed balls of flour, the cake itself was dry and disgusting, and it stubbornly stuck to the pan. Suffice to say, it was a complete mess.

Then we saw the name of the recipe, and we burst out laughing. We still laugh over our apparent stupidity, and our failure led to a hilarious memory and inside joke that lasts to this day. The cake that we had attempted was called idiot-proof chocolate cake. So what does that make us? Geniuses?

To complete this blog post, I again called upon Allie's help to tackle this cake. The result was delicious, but it was not pretty. We followed all of the instructions to the letter, and it turned out quite nicely. The cake came out of the oven and looked perfect. It smelled amazing too. Then we had to take the cake out of the pans. That was a disaster. The cake fell apart as soon as the pans were turned upside down, and we were left quite perplexed because we had greased the pans thoroughly. Maybe the cake just has a tendency to stick no matter how you bake it. The memory of this cake continues -- Allie and I have still have not mastered this one recipe. This idiot-proof recipe.

The cake was scrumptious, even if we had to eat it in bowls. 

I know how to cook, but I'm still learning.

Idiot-proof Chocolate Cake
(by Shelia Raab, from her book Clueless in the Kitchen)

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 cup boiling water
Note: FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease two 9-inch round cake pans. 

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. 





3. Add in the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer for two minutes. Pour in the boiling water and mix.







4. Pour the batter into the pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. 

5. Remove the cakes from the pan and allow to cool. Be EXTRA CAREFUL. Without proper patience this final step could prove disastrous, as evidenced by my own failure. If all else fails, a good smothering in chocolate icing is what any cake, or cake crumble, needs.









9 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I can smell it from over here. The second from the bottom picture is especially mouthwatering, argh (almost wrote arch, whoa there).

    Of course, I can totally relate with your baking less-than-successes. I made this pineapple cake once just to get rid of some canned pineapple, but added tablespoons of salt instead of teaspoons, and it was not edible. Not to mention our concrete cookies last year that failed in BOTH of our houses. This, however, looks lovely. When it comes to chocolate cake, I usually resort to using a mug cake recipe, since it's just the right amount for a couple of my family members to enjoy, and less dishes to clean. I haven't made a chocolate cake in a while, but maybe I'll test this one out to see if I'm a genius, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Gloria--that second to last picture looks delicious, though I'm not quite sure what to make of it. My first reaction was, "completely demolished chocolate cake mixed with raspberry sauce!" which is sort of what happened when my mom and I tried to make a raspberry sachertorte for my sister's birthday. The cake only stayed solid because there was a hard chocolate coating keeping it all together. But it was delicious.

    Maybe you should heed the advice in Petra's blog and use the complete-cake crumble to make AN INFINITE SUPPLY OF CAKE POPS!!!

    As usual, your post not only tells a nice story but also makes the reader incredibly hungry. Great job!

    --Arch

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least the cake is edible! When I screw up cooking the result is usually repulsive. One time I tried to make a sponge cake, and it turned out like an actual sponge. That was really bad.

    Also I agree with Arch. INFINITE CAKE POPS. (<- if you say that fast enough it sounds like "infinite KPOP")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmmmyyy. That recipe looks so delicious. I'm really tempted to try it out. The way the cake falls apart seems like a bonus, since eating fresh-from-the-oven cake in bowls always seems more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious! (second picture from the bottom is the killer)
    I always love how you tell us a little bit about your history with a particular recipe before you show us how it's done. I love baking with friends, especially with more complicated recipes (except that you figure that two heads would be better than one, and then you get this lava cake that looks like a cross between pudding and cake)
    Looking forward to reading your next recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Om nom nom nom this looks so good! The pictures really help in understanding. I also like the brief stories before you actually get to the recipe and cooking itself, which adds a whole other dimension and makes reading your posts that much more enjoyable!

    Now, as to idiot-proof, challenge accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely share your views on baking, everything I put in seems to magically emerge black (except brownies which just become quite crispy)! Personally cooking seems a lot more fool-proof with me being able to watch my food intently as it cooks. Your pictures definitely seem to show the baking fiasco actually turned out delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cake still looks yummy! If it weren't that bad for you, I would eat cake that's half-baked, with some of the insides still gooey and mushy. Is that weird?
    Recently, I've been lucky with most of my baking endeavors, but I've had my share of failures in the past. The more and more I bake, I realize it's more of a science, and you really can't improvise while baking. That's why I've been trying to it out cooking, but that takes a lot more skill and talent.

    ReplyDelete